Tuesday 13 November 2012

This Evening I Went To PC World....

There is some belief that out of the burning corpse that is Comet, PC World (and sister brand Currys) will rise from the ashes and finally turn in decent profits. The customers that would have otherwise shopped at Comet, will now turn to the main rival instead. Not only that, but over the two years or so, the company has invested millions in flagship joint-branded PC World & Currys stores with the emphasis on " ensuring a better shopping experience for customers."

"Try as I might, I couldn't actually find anyone to take my money from me"

So, off I popped to my local shop. I knew what I wanted and how much it was. I walked to the section and was greeted by an impressive stand that looked the business. Then I waited. Waited some more. And some more, for good measure. Try as I might, I couldn't actually find anyone to take my money from me. Yet more waiting followed. I understand that staff members will have been with other customers, but for the size of the shop, the number of on floor staff was a bit silly.

No matter, I had made the trip and they would get my money eventually. In the end, I was served, but little inspired confidence. Despite being a self proclaimed "PC Expert", lets call them "Dave", they clearly weren't. I didn't do the big headed move of pointing out what I was buying wasn't even a PC. After several attempts at explaining how I had already made my mind up, it was off to the checkout.

"I know that there is absolutely zero margin in electronic goods"

Now, I know that there is absolutely zero margin in electronic goods. I also get that in order to pay the rent, the bills and the wages, the company needs to make said margin. But on three occasions I was given the spiel about extended warranties. Wouldn't have minded once. But three times. Not only that, but across the course of 2 years, it added up to an eye popping £179! The device itself was only £230.

Erm, except it didn't, as "Dave" had managed to get hold of the wrong product, something costing around £350. After a few more minutes of head scratching and display stand alarms ringing, "Dave" finally admitted defeat and asked someone else where the stock was located. Once back to the counter, the extended warranty premium was significantly reduced, but still not for me. It got to the point where I actually felt bad for "Dave". I started to think about any commission or bonus or even positive mention from his boss I may have been keeping from him by saying no. Images of him not being able to buy food because of my failure to sign my life away on something I didn't want suddenly flashed before my eyes. I was having to try really hard not to say yes.

But I stood firm, apologising profusely of course. In the end, I did at least give "Dave" my details and he got the last laugh as when the check box appeared for "No Marketing" (direct mail) on the screen, he didn't ask me and hit continue without my consent. When I got home, someone had written some codes on the box in red Biro too. Damn. Should have got that extended warranty....

No comments: